• American Chamber of Commerce in Sao Paulo - Quite an extensive membership directory: provides name, address, phone, fax, managing director, number of employees and sector.
• Bovespa -
From this page, information about Brazilian stocks, options and indices is available. On the daily
summary page, the code, company name, volume, open, average and close are given for stocks quoted by the single
share and those quoted in lots of 1000. Option and forward data are also available.
• Brazzil - English language news magazine. Complete searchable archive.
• Comissão de Valores Mobiliários - The Brazilian Securities Commission, this site has financial statements and quarterly reports of public Brazilian companies
available for download. You need to download a viewer program to make sense of the data you download. The web site is in
English, Spanish and Portuguese, but the files and viewing program are in Portuguese only.
• Economatica - [Fee-based]. Offers data on over 2,000 companies in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Mexico, Peru and Venezuela.
"O sistema Economatica oferece um banco de dados de alta precisao sobre as 300 principais
empresas Brasileiras negociadas em bolsa. E se voce esta atento as oportunidades criadas
pela globalizacao dos mercados, voce tambem podera ter informacoes sobre outras centenas
de empresas de outros 6 paises Latino Americanos."
• Globo On - Online newspaper, with a complete archive. In Portuguese only.
|Ltda||Limited Liability Corporation. Similar, but simpler than S/As, as there is no need to publish annual accounts, etc.
The owner(s) are referred to as "Quotaholders", and are liable up to their portion of the share capital, even if the share capital isn't fully
paid up. But they are not liable beyond the share capital.
|S/A||Sociedades Anônimas. Stock company. Can raise capital through either a public listing on a stock exchange or
through private sources. There must be at least two shareholders, and at least 10% of the subscribed capital must be paid at
the time of incorporation. S/As must be registered with the Commercial Registry.
|SCP||Sociedade em Conta de Participacao. This is a partnership where there is one partner assumed responsible for
running the business, etc. The other partners, however, carry liability. The other partners do not have to be revealed, however. This type
of business if fairly rare, and is usually established to complete a certain task, then the structure is dissolved.
|S.N.C.||Sociedade em Nome Coletivo. Translates to "Collective Name Society". Basically, this is a
general partnership: partners have unlimited liability.
Other Useful Information
• Inside Brazil - Published by the American Chamber of Commerce of Sao Paulo, here you can find some general information about the Brazilian economy and business climate, as well as some market research reports.
• Portuguese-English, English-Portuguese Dictionary - [Book -- Amazon]. From Hippocrene, this dictionary should prove useful when researching a Brazilian company.
• Brazilian Law Links - Various links containing information and legal guides about Brazilian law. Information can be found about the Constitution and the 3 branches of government.
• Country Commercial Guide - Adobe Acrobat Required.
• FAO Brief - Country profile by the Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations. (Adobe Acrobat Required.)
• Owens Fact Sheet: Brazil - [Fee-based]. International credit and background check agency containing over 4,300 clients worldwide. Client types include exporters, insurance and insurance related companies, banks, government agencies and other background investigation companies.
• Online Business To Business Directory - A comprehensive online B2B directory of Brazilian companies including links to company websites.
Other Industry Research Links for Brazil
• Advertising • Aerospace • Apparel • Automotive • Chemicals • Construction • Energy • Financial • Food • Media • Metal • Paper • Recreation • Restaurants • Retail • Services • Shipping • Tobacco •
General Industry Research Links for Other Countries
• Argentina • Australia • Austria • Bahrain • Belgium • Bermuda • Bosnia • Bulgaria • Canada • Chile • China • Colombia • Croatia • Cyprus • Czech Republic • Denmark • Egypt • Estonia • Finland • France • Germany • Greece • Hong Kong • Hungary • Iceland • India • Indonesia • Ireland • Israel • Italy • Japan • Jordan • Korea (South) • Latvia • Lithuania • Luxembourg • Malaysia • Malta • Mexico • Morocco • Netherlands • New Zealand • Nigeria • Norway • Pakistan • Peru • Philippines • Poland • Portugal • Romania • Russian Federation • Saudi Arabia • Singapore • Slovakia • Slovenia • South Africa • Spain • Sri Lanka • Sweden • Switzerland • Taiwan • Thailand • Turkey • United Kingdom • United States • Venezuela • Vietnam • Zimbabwe •