• 2002 Census Bureau Final Reports, Industry Series - Numerous industry reports from the U.S. Census Department. (Requires Adobe Acrobat.)
• Accidental Empires - [Book -- Amazon]. By Robert X. Cringely, this book tells "How the boys of Silicon Valley Make their Millions, Battle Foreign Competition, and still can't get a date." This book is very entertaining, and contains a lot of humor. It is also a very
interesting read about the origins of many of the silicon valley companies, and if you are interested in how some of these guys got it all started, but don't want to read something boring, then
this is a very good choice. $10.40 (20% off). Published in 1996 (the original version was through 1992; this version goes through 1996).
• Computer Review -
Contains long profiles and histories of hundreds of computer companies. It appears as if some of the profiles are a bit dated.
• ComputerWorld - This influential computer magazine allows you to search through its articles on the web for free. A great resource when researching a computer company.
• Cyberstocks - [Book -- Amazon]. This book also comes from
Hoover's, and provides information about investing in Internet stocks. The
book also offers in depth profiles of 101 publicly traded Internet companies.
• Hoover's Guide to Computer Companies - [Book -- Amazon].
This book gives detailed profiles of the top 250 computer companies in the
United States. Data provided include detailed descriptions, histories and
some financial data. The book also comes with a CD-Rom, so you can search
easily and generate mailing lists, etc.. Published in 1997.
• Interesting and Useful Numbers about Computers -
Preparing a report about computers, and need some good stats you can quote? Then this is the place. A very useful and well put together page.
• ITWorld - An online publication of Accela Communications.
• PC Magazine - PC Magazine defines technology for e-business and is the only magazine with in-depth reviews and accurate, repeatable testing from PC Magazine Labs placed in the unique context of today's business technology landscape.
• Scientific Computing and Automation Buyers Guide - Contact info for hundreds of technical computing companies.
• ZDNet Company Finder - Large database of hardware and software companies.
• Hoover's - A snapshot of the Computer Harware Industry
• Industry Blogs - Weblogs with industry themes.
• GameSages - Find out what company developed that video game...
• Hoover's - A snapshot of the Computer Software Industry
• Software Information Industry Association -
Many of the features here require membership, but there are some industry reports and data about the industry here that are open to everyone.
Other Industry Research Links for United States
• Advertising • Aerospace • Apparel • Automotive • Chemicals • Construction • Electrical • Electronics • Energy • Financial • Food • Furniture • General • Glass • Health • Machinery • Media • Metal • Paper • Railroads • RealEstate • Restaurants • Retail • Rubber • Services • Shipping • Steel • Telecommunications • Tobacco • Trucking •
Computers Industry Research Links for Other Countries
• Argentina • Bulgaria • Canada • Germany • India • Ireland • Israel • Japan • Latvia • Lithuania • New Zealand • Nigeria • Poland • Saudi Arabia • United Kingdom • Zimbabwe •